Skip to main content
Beantwoord

Internet usage abroad, what to do?

• 10 July 2024
  • 2 reacties
  • 30 Bekeken

I landed in India and switched off my airoplane mode. Before I could switch the settings to my local sim for calls and internet, I get a msg from Simyo saying 60 euros verbruik in buiten bundel. This all happened in the matter of 3 minutes. I felt this as robbing the money from customers. This is such an unfortunate incident. What can we do about it?

Thanks!

2 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +9

I landed in India and switched off my airoplane mode. Before I could switch the settings to my local sim for calls and internet, I get a msg from Simyo saying 60 euros verbruik in buiten bundel. This all happened in the matter of 3 minutes. I felt this as robbing the money from customers. This is such an unfortunate incident. What can we do about it?

I would recommend disabling data-roaming when travelling to zone 2, 3 and 4 countries BEFORE getting into the plane. Possibly even disabling the option "Internet op jouw mobiel - Buitenland” before getting to the airport.

The trouble is that once you switched off aeroplane mode, your phone made connection to a network. Once it had a connection, it would start a data-connection as well. Of course your phone was off the internet for a while, so most likely plenty of apps wanted to sync up and therefore use some data.

Sadly data simply costs a lot in India when roaming, so that quickly made you reach that 60,50 euro mark.

Reputatie 7
Badge +6

Hi @Pavi,

Thanks for your message. I am very sorry to hear you have incurred costs outside your bundle. India is considered zone 3 and does not fall within your bundle. Therefore, the costs in India are €5,- per MB. Unfortunately, when travelling abroad, turning on your internet after landing could cause data usage. This is due to apps that refresh in the background (think of all the notifications you received when you turned back your internet) To avoid this, you could turn off the option '’Roaming'’.

However, I would still like to take a look at your subscription to see if I can help you in any way. Could you send me a private message with your personal information? 

Thanks for your help @Groentjuh!

Greetings,
Seren

Reageer