Beantwoord

€500!! bill during bike commute. How did this happen?

• 28 September 2023
  • 1 reactie
  • 57 Bekeken

My wife recently received a bill for approximately €500 following her daily commute. Interestingly, during her bike ride to work, she didn't engage in any data-consuming activities. Yet, somehow, 3GB of data was depleted within just 30 minutes of driving without any active actions on her part.

She typically relies on a 40GB data bundle, which translates to an average daily consumption of around 1.3GB. To prevent overages, we've already taken measures, such as disabling backend updates and other non-essential services, after the last incident where we were charged an extra €50.

Given her usual daily usage pattern, it's indeed puzzling that 3GB were used in just half an hour without any apparent activity on her part, especially when her typical daily consumption is around 1.3GB.

How it's possible for 30 minutes and 10% of monthly bundle charge cost of 3 years usage?
The bill is more suitable for some luxury bag than for routine mobile service.

icon

Beste antwoord door Roeqajja 29 September 2023, 13:02

Bekijk originele reactie

1 reactie

Reputatie 7
Badge +6

Hi @Vitaly,

Thank you for your message. I'm sorry to hear about extra charges outside your bundle due to internet usage!

We at Simyo are transparent about the fact that we do not have a data cap. For this reason, we always send two warning text messages at 80% and 100% usage of the internet bundle. These text messages come directly from the network and are always leading. In the last text message we also clearly indicate what the tariff is from that moment on (€ 0.15 per MB) and that it is wise to turn off the internet or to buy an internet bundle. From Simyo, we do our best to warn our customers in time. If you have incurred high costs outside your bundle within a short period of time, we will block your SIM card as a precaution and send an e-mail about this. 

Due to privacy laws, we cannot see where your MBs have been spent, but you can sometimes find this in your phone itself. If you have an Android phone, I would like to share the tip to set a data limit via the settings in your phone to avoid this in the future. On our website we have a blog with more useful internet saving tips, I recommend reading it carefully. 

We can imagine that you haven't consciously incurred the costs. I would therefore like to help you and see what we can do about this. Would you like to send me a private message with your personal details? I can't promise anything for now, but we can look at the possibilities together. :)

Greetings,
Roeqajja

Reageer