Beantwoord

Why does my data-managing app tell me something different from Mijn Simyo?

• 18 June 2016
  • 2 reacties
  • 706 Bekeken

From Apr. mine mobile data usage of billing increased a lot. I am using Iphone6+IOS8 for quite long time. No wifi assistant function.
I checked the billing and found that almost every night there was a bill from 5m-30m generated from 1:00a.m.-6:00a.m.
Yesterday afternoon I installed the "My data Manager" to monitor the data usage and in the evening I've checked and turned off all the possible data cost options, such as the cloud backup, the background APP refresh, the APP auto-update etc.
From My data manager APP, I use very limited mobile data from the period 21:00-9:00. (See the picture attached). While I I still see a bill of 5.8m still generated on 05:13 a.m. Jun.18 (the last CDR from Jun.17 is 21:13 of 0.2MB) .
Can you explain me how it is possible? Thanks.
icon

Beste antwoord door Jihane 20 June 2016, 11:50

Bekijk originele reactie

2 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +9
I don't know My Data Manager, but it is well known that these third party datamonitor apps generally underestimate the actual data usage. The best app in this regard is Onavo Count which monitors the data stream that is diverted through a VPN tunnel between the iPhone and the internet server(s) that you are visiting. In my experience this is the most accurate data monitor and the results match the MB usage data as reported by the Simyo (KPN) network very closely indeed.

Having said that, the next most accurate monitor is the one provided by iOS in Settings > Mobile Data. I suggest that you reset the statistics and check again 24 hours later. It will show you how many MBs each app has been using since the last reset, and most importantly also how much data can be attributed to System Services. This will give you a good idea which apps have been responsible for the amount of MBs that has been used during the 24 h period.
Reputatie 7
Badge +10
Hi Amy Zhu,

Welcome to the Simyo Forum!

I can imagine that it's confusing when your data managing app assures you that no data has been used, and yet, you get billed for data-usage. There's a couple of things I'd like to bring to your attention. First of, data-usage is registered with some delay, meaning that the times that are displayed next to the MB's isn't always on par with the actual time of usage. For example, if I use 30 MB's in the morning, it could very well be that it's registered in the afternoon. Having said that, the data registered is always data that has been used.

This brings me to my second point. You took the liberty of posting screenshots (which is always handy!) to show that your third-party data-manager says that barely any data has been used. Yet, you're getting charged for data-usage. As I mentioned before, data that gets charged is always data that has been, in fact, used. This means that something must be slipping through the cracks with that app. I suggest the same thing as Scotsman; to rely on your own device to tell you what data has been used. As he said, you can do this by going to Settings > Mobile data > System. It would, of course, be wise to clear the data that's already been registered. This way, everything will be reduced to zero, and you'll know exactly how much data has been used by which apps.

Lastly I'd like to inform you that, if you wish to cut off data temporarily, you could always go to your Mijn Simyo-page. If you click on Instellingen > Netwerkinstellingen, you'll find the option to turn off your mobile data. This option is called 'Internet op je mobiel in Nederland'. That way, you will not be able to receive or send any data, as you'll have blocked it from the our side. When you're ready to use the internet again, you could always opt to turn the function back on.

If you have any more questions about this, I'd gladly answer them.

@Scotsman; Thanks for your help! :)

Best wishes,
Jihane

Reageer