Beantwoord

Waarom kan ik niet internetten met Prepaid in het buitenland?

• 20 September 2017
  • 12 reacties
  • 342 Bekeken

Badge
It must be a mistake???
Why can I not use roaming internet within the EU? Is this policy even legal?
I have some other pre-paid cards and there it is no problem. Why is it not possible w this one?
IS IT LEGAL?
P
icon

Beste antwoord door Scotsman 21 September 2017, 11:23

Bekijk originele reactie

12 reacties

Hi Pelleponken.

Welcome on Simyo forum.
There's no need to use several topics, one central place keeps it clear.
https://forum.simyo.nl/buitenland-88/hoezo-kon-ik-internetten-in-het-buitenland-met-prepaid-39768/index1.html#post174521

With Simyo prepaid you can only use internet/internet bundle in the Netherlands, Simyo doesn't allow prepaid internet in foreign countries. A rule that is not a wise one to handle, no one understands.
_removed_.
Reputatie 7
Badge +9
Simyo restricts mobile data use with prepaid simcards to the Netherlands. I cannot speak on Simyo's behalf, but in my view this is a deliberate policy decision designed to limit their financial risk.

When applying for a prepaid simcard, the identity checks are far less stringent than for sim-only contracts. A relatively anonymous prepaid customer could travel to a country that Simyo considers to be in Zone 4 (for example, Thailand) and rack up a massive bill by watching a 1.5 hour Netflix movie (for example) in one continuous session if international data roaming would be allowed with Prepaid. Considering that streaming in a Zone 4 country costs 5 Euros per MB and that Netflix streaming uses 12 MB per minute, the cost of this could amount to 3500 Euros in total. Since Simyo is registering the use of their sim cards (voice, text, data) in foreign countries with a considerable delay (up to 13 hours), the usual block that kicks in when your balance is 100 euros in the red will be way too late to have any effect. Another factor is that Simyo will always let you finish your call or data session even if your prepaid balance has turned negative.

If it then turns out that the Prepaid customer is unable or unwilling to pay 3500 Euros to Simyo, then Simyo has to try to recover this money in some way, which could be an expensive and time consuming exercise. It is a hassle that Simyo, being a low-cost provider, has decided they could do without.

So here's my explanation why you cannot use mobile data with a Simyo Prepaid simcard in other countries. Other providers who do offer this service have probably implemented technical measures that enable them to monitor foreign mobile data use in real-time so that the simcard can be blocked as soon as a certain negative balance is reached.

There is no legal obligation for Simyo to offer foreign mobile data services for Prepaid, this has been discussed quite extensively before in this forum.
Reputatie 7
Badge +9
I agree Scotsman, but why not make it possible to roam as home for zone 1 (EU and some other countries)?
It is a decision of Simyo to act like this, there are other Dutch providers who give a prepaid data service in foreign countries with the risks explained by Scotsman. At the end it comes to your decision which provider you choose and your responsibility.

By reading of the terms and agreed to the terms.
Each provider has his own rules en way of things how to work, and different kind of safety.
@franswon
The simcard doesn't make that difference and works normally spoken everywhere.
Reputatie 7
Badge +9
With software you can do a lot @Friesian
@franswon
I know, I know...even stop of data because bundle is used...just a way of..
Reputatie 5
Badge +5
Hi Pelleponken,

Welcome to the Simyo Forum! It's a good thing you're here to share your questions, we're all here to help out.

It's true, Simyo doesn't offer Prepaid customers the service to use mobile internet when you're abroad. This service is not built into our system, originally created to prevent our customers from going overboard in costs for using internet abroad. As Scotsman said wisely, we allow users to finish their phone calls or sessions when their credit runs out. However, with the previous costs of using internet abroad, when you are using a lot of MB's during this internet session you will end up with a lot of extra costs. Even with the new 'roam like home' tariffs in zone 1 within the EU, Simyo still chooses not to offer this service as of yet. However, if this does change in the future we will let all our customers know. :)

With Sim Only you are able to use the internet abroad. Within the EU you can even use your internet bundle without any extra charges. Via Mijn Simyo you're able to switch from Prepaid to Sim Only within a day without changing your sim card or phone number. Read more about the options on this page. 🙂

Do you have any additional questions regarding this service?

@ Friesian, Scotsman& franswon, thanks for the input!

Kindest regards,
Els
Badge
Yes, I understand!!!
But what I do not understand is why improvement can't be debated in an open way?
If I buy a product, be it a bread toaster or a digital one, why should I not push for a better one?? That is what a free society is all about? No?? Yes, I "signed" the agreement with SIMYOU.
Nevertheless I want something better.
Some of the posts implies a kind of North Korean way of things. You get what you buy... forever..
Imagine a world like that
Change is bad!!??
It is € 7,88 !!
What is really the upset?
I wish you all a wonderful and sunny
Friday
P
@Pelleponken
This forum is a public area where we, you can debate, share opinions, give feedback, ask questions.

Each provider has benefits but also restrictions, difference in costs. I know for example a provider who charges €2,50 per MB as you go, outside the bundle, at Simyo it's 0.15.

It's your choice which provider you choose. For example Telfort is like Simyo a daughter of KPN. At Telfort you can't use data without a bundle. You said earlier you have several prepaid sims so you should know I suppose that there are differences.
Source

Indeed !
Enjoyed some weeks free surf in France!
But seriously, why can't I roam internet on pre-paid SIMYOU in the EU as I can with all (?) other pre-paid. I have several other pre-paid from other countries and it works fine. Is it even in compliance with EU regulations?
Cc. EU commission
Reputatie 6
Badge +7
Hi Pelleponken,

We love to debate in an open way with our customers. And ofcourse there is always room for inprovement! That's why we introduced the 'Wall of Change' at our office. We put here all the improvements sent by our customers (and colleagues). In this way we can develop our product in the way that suits our customers.

@ Friesian, thanks!

Best regards,
Asma

Reageer