Beantwoord

Beware toll-free numbers!

• 21 January 2014
  • 5 reacties
  • 792 Bekeken

Sorry for writing in English, but my Dutch is not very good. I was recently on holiday in the USA and our luggage was lost. I called the toll-free number (1-800) for the Delta airline bagage handlers and am now shocked to see that I was charged €40.67 for the call! I genuinely thought the call would be free otherwise I never would have rang!  To make matters worse I never actually spoke to anyone as I was in a call queue for the whole 15 minutes and finally gave up!  €40 to listen to elevator music....I could have joined Spotify for 6 months!
icon

Beste antwoord door ahmed_a 22 January 2014, 16:25

Bekijk originele reactie

5 reacties

Badge +6
Dear vinnypowell, welcome to the forum of Simyo! :)

Well, to be honest, I'm not actually sure how this works, so I am going to find out whether this charge is right or not. I hope not, so you can join Spotify for 6 months 😉

I will let you know as soon as possible what the answer is!
Reputatie 4
Badge +4
It's not that hard to figure out the toll-free number is only toll-free for US citizens with an US mobile carrier. Your call is handled like any other call you make from a foreign country to any number.
Reputatie 5
Badge +11
It's not that hard to figure out the toll-free number is only toll-free for US citizens with an US mobile carrier. Your call is handled like any other call you make from a foreign country to any number.

Very true! Thank you ahmed_a :)

The standard tarif for calling to the U.S. (€2,54 per minute) is charged...
May seem obvious to some I guess, but someone is making a killing here.  If my mobile is "registered/connected" to a US carrier whilst roaming and the number I am calling is in the same country and free then it all seems a bit greedy!  I remember when roaming in the 90's....yes I am that old!  Local numbers dialled in the country you were roaming in were always charged at the local rates!  However, lesson learned, time to move on!
Badge +6
Dear vinnypowell,

Unfortunately, times have changed in that case. When you are in the US, your call goes back to the Netherlands first and than back to the US, therefore those cost are charged.

Reageer