Beantwoord

I am blocked due to 'hoogverbruik'. How is this possible?

• 19 June 2017
  • 9 reacties
  • 499 Bekeken

I received an email on June 18 at 6:18AM telling me that my number has been blocked due to 'hoogverbruik'. I was told my costs were currently 105.48 euro and that I needed to pay at least 100 euro to continue with service. When I checked my Simyo account, I see that I actually have 134.28 euro in over usage fee. I would like to challenge these absurd costs for the reasons below; attachments included.

1. The times I supposedly went over my data usage was between 4:47AM and 6:13 AM on June 18th where I was sleeping.
2. I received a message from Simyo at 3:59 AM telling me that I was at 80% of my data usage and another at 4:38AM telling me my internet bundle was up. I did not see these messages as I was sleeping. Why would I continue using my data after seeing these messages? I was in the Netherlands and not making use of my phone.
3. As my data usage was blocked, why don't the costs from the email and my 'overzicht' match? I have not gone over my minutes or SMS package.

I had 1449 MB remaining by 18:50 on June 17th as you can see from my screenshot. I have a hard time understanding how these over usage costs could be charged while I was in the Netherlands and asleep. My past usage history also does not suggest I am in the habit of going over my data.

I am now unable to make outgoing calls. I hope this is a system glitch otherwise this appears to be a very sneaky way to overcharge customers
icon

Beste antwoord door Groentjuh 19 June 2017, 12:25

Bekijk originele reactie

9 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +9
Looking at the screenshot, it appears you are using Android. Android has pretty good mobile data monitoring tools. Navigate to Settings (> Wireless & Networks) > Data Usage. This should show you which app usage data and when it did that. Could you post a screenshot of that?

That screen also contains options to limit your data usage. I suggest configuring that feature of your phone.

The block is to prevent even higher bills. Your phone was using a lot of data for some reason. The before mentioned screen might show you what caused it.

Why does that amount changed between email and mijn Simyo? That's because the network takes a little while to relay the usage to other systems. Those SMS-messages are sent at the right moment. At that time mijn Simyo will still have to process the usage of the last few hours, so it might tell you have data left at the moment you get that last SMS message. It will also block your connection when mijn simyo has detected the large additional charge (100 euro/day, 250 euro/week).

Between the time you actually used the amount of data to reach this block and the detection of the usage to cause this block, you have used more data. This extra data has not yet been processed by mijn simyo. That's why after the block, the bill can still increase a bit. This data was used before the block activated and after you reached the needed amount to be blocked.

A moderator wil look at this as well. They might offer you a solution. They try to respond in 1 working day.
The setting in my phone shows the 'Photos' app as having used up the most data which doesn't make sense to me. How can taking photos use up data? I believe this is a default app/settings on my phone so why hasn't it been racking up such charges in previous months?

I hope a moderator does review this as what's the point of being able to track usage if this data is inaccurate and that customers get these warning texts/emails so far beyond allotted usage? I'm meant to get a warning when I've used 80% of 2000MB, not when I've allegedly used 2.8GB. I've received these messages before but never at these ridiculous times. What I am getting from your response about SMS messages being sent at the right times is that it's also possible to be consuming data while phones are not in use. I get that it may take a while to collect data but then it should also reflect the times that this data was supposedly used. It seems incredibly dishonest that customers have no way of knowing how much data they have actually used as they can also be told (incorrectly) that they have data left.
Reputatie 7
Badge +9
The warnings by SMS are send at the time you reach to limit. Those SMS-messages do not have that delay. You will know when you reached 80% and 100% as customer at the time you reach them! Mijn Simyo is delayed, and so is that block. However Simyo does communicate that these SMS-warnings are leading!

If you receive the 100% SMS-warning, you have reached 100%. At that moment you're not at 100+%. At that moment you can act upon that the way you want to. You could have disabled internet using the Mijn Simyo app; You could have bought 500MB extra or just continue to use it by paying 0,15 euro/MB.

The photo's application can use data to sync photos and videos to google's cloud (as backup). On Google I've found several android users complain about such high background usage from the "Photos"-app. You might want to look into that as well.
I don't know wat sort of phone you have but when it comes to Android, with Opera Max or Data Eye you can make a huge difference in allowing wich app may use mobile data or not.
Badge +7
Hi Darliine,

Welcome at our forum :)

I can understand that you're shocked by this surprising data-usage. Groentjuh already explained a lot, so I'll give you a short explanation as well.

As the printscreen shows, this data-usage was caused by the photo application app. Apparently this app was creating a back-up for your photos and video's, at a moment you didn't have a wifi-connection. If you allow your phone to do that while your not connected with wifi, he can also do that while you're sleeping. You don't have to use your phone at that moment. That's why I suggest to take a look at the settings of your apps. Please make sure that they only can update when you are connected with wifi. Furthermore, turn off your internet connection when you are going to sleep. This way, your phone can't be using internet while you are sleeping. I also want to recommend you to set a limit for your data usage in your phone.

As you can see at Mijn Simyo, this data-usage started around 0.30 AM and ended at 6.17 AM. That's when we blocked your sim card. If we didn't do that, your invoice would have been even higher. You received text messages when you had reached the 80% and 100% limits of your bundle. These messages were sent directly from our network, at the exact moment when you reached these limits. There is no delay in that. I can imagine you didn't see them on time because you were sleeping. We are obligated by law to sent them at the exact time. We and our network can't take into account that you might be sleeping at that moment.

At the time we blocked your sim card, the costs outside your bundle were € 105,48. Because there is a delay in receiving your usage, this amount can get higher. Around 6.17 AM, we received your data from around 5.40 AM. All the data usage between 5.40 AM and 6.17 AM is causing that difference between your e-mail and what you see at Mijn Simyo.

If you want to use your bundles again, please make a payment via the iDeal link you received. Then we will unblock your sim card immediately. Don't forget that you don't have any MB's left anymore for this month. That's why I advise you to buy 500 extra MB's for € 5,00.

If you have any questions about this, please let me know.

Kind regards,
Samantha

@Groentjuh en Friesian, Thanks for helping out guys!
I've never before heard in my life that data can still be consumed while phones are asleep but I guess that's today's lesson. As I said, I haven't touched these settings previously so these sudden charges are out of the blue and there's not much I can do if these warning messages are being sent from 4AM. I won't be purchasing any additional bundles as I'll be moving away from Simyo.
Reputatie 7
Badge +10
Hi Darliine,

I can imagine that that comes a surprise. The thing is, your cell phone is constantly trying to renew and update its information. Sometimes, it tries to do something that requires a lot of data and if it can't connect to wifi, it switches to your mobile data.

I'm really sorry to hear that you're distancing yourself from Simyo 😞 Is there anything I can do for you?

Best regards,
Jihane
No Jihane, there isn't. You should receive a request from another service provider shortly for the cancellation of my contract. I'd rather pay a bit more to go with a provider that only slows down your data if you're over your usage.
Badge +7
Hi darliine,

I am sad to hear that. As I told you before, you can also put a limit in your phone. If you do that, this can't happen anymore.

If you have any more questions, just let us know.

Kind regards,
Samantha

Reageer