Vraag

New eSIM subscription - insane costs, why is bundle not working?

• 1 November 2022
  • 7 reacties
  • 235 Bekeken

Hello, Simyo.

I've ordered Simyo eSIM Sim Only subscription a few weeks ago (1 year, 10GB/month, 200min/sms) and happily started using it for mobile internet. To my great surprise yesterday I've received the sms about my sim card being blocked due to excessive spendings.

I've checked the Simyo app and found that for all of my internet consumption I was charged insane amounts of money, since the consumption was counted as "outside of my bundle".

I've checked the subscription information and it states:

Simyo Complete

Duration 1 year

10 GB - € 5

200 min/sms - € 6

Per month - € 11

My total internet consumption is 2,6Gb - far less then 10 Gb bundle I've order. Why it was not counted as a bundle consumption??

I have received ZERO messages/emails worrying me about bundle not working for some reason (like Vodafone contracts do, for example).

Why is my subscription is not working properly? I've ordered the subscription for €11/month, stayed within the bundle limits and now you're charging me €416 for half a month of use. This is totally insane :\

Can you explain me what’s happened? Why is my subscription is not working?

I'm writing here because I was unable to contact Simyo support via phone (because SIM is blocked) and via WhatsApp (I haven't received any answer yesterday).

Thanks in advance!

7 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +9

A moderator (= Simyo employee) will likely ask you to send him/her a private message and take it from here. As helpful customer I do have some questions, that might lead to an answer for this.

Did you request a number transfer? Was that number transfer completed? In case it was not yet, your bundles were not active yet. They would be activated once the transfer would be completed. That way you wouldn't pay double for your subscription (once at your old provider and again at Simyo).

While they are not active yet, everything will be counted as outside the bundle.

Hi! Yes, the number transfer was requested and I started using Simyo with the temporary phone number eSIM was coming with, before the number transfer was completed.

That way you wouldn't pay double for your subscription

Well, instead of paying for double subscription fee, Simyo now want’s me pay >€400 for a few weeks of use. Without a single notification about this crazy behavior!

Why I was not completely suspended from network use until the subscription bundle becomes “active”?

I was using many mobile providers in many countries. This is the first time I see the mobile plan that is not “active” since you the beginning of use.

And those out-of-bundle costs are unreasonable. Why Simyo is not blocking the SIM card when it reaches much lower spendings value? €400 is the 3+ years of spendings with my current (but not “active”!) subscription - why this is not suspicious enough to block the SIM card much earlier?

Reputatie 7
Badge +7

Hello @Aleksandr Shvedov,

Thankyou for your message. I can imagine you were shocked at the cost! Also, like @Groentjuh says (bedankt voor de uitleg!), I am wondering if you have requested number portability and if your 06 number has already been transferred to us. If so, could you send me a private message with your personal information? I like to see what I can do for you. 

Greetings,
Amy

Reputatie 7
Badge +9

Hi! Yes, the number transfer was requested and I started using Simyo with the temporary phone number eSIM was coming with, before the number transfer was completed.

That's indeed what I expected happened.

That way you wouldn't pay double for your subscription

Well, instead of paying for double subscription fee, Simyo now want’s me pay >€400 for a few weeks of use. Without a single notification about this crazy behavior!

Simyo expects you to use your old subscription until your previous provider kicks you of their network to transfer your number. I believe most customers seem to do that as I rarely see issues such as yours.

Given your bundles were not active yet, there would not be a 80% and 100% data bundle usage warning. The only thing you can run into then is “Hoogverbruik” or "High usage”, which blocks any connection exceeding 100 euro/day or 250 euro/days of (out-of-bundle) costs. Sadly even this protection is not as good as it monitors usage with a delay, which allows you to exceed this limit if there is an amount of usage in a short time.

Why I was not completely suspended from network use until the subscription bundle becomes “active”?

That's not how Simyo works. As I said before: Simyo expects you to use your old subscription until your previous provider kicks you of the network to transfer your number. I believe that is most customers seem to do.

I believe Simyo even warns in the welcome emails about this, but do not point me on that. I have been customer for some time and things may have changed!

And those out-of-bundle costs are unreasonable. Why Simyo is not blocking the SIM card when it reaches much lower spendings value? €400 is the 3+ years of spendings with my current (but not “active”!) subscription - why this is not suspicious enough to block the SIM card much earlier?

Yes, the out-of-bundle costs for data are pretty outrageous. €0,15/MB, which is 300 times the costs of the MBs in your bundle.

As customers we have asked plenty of times to offer some sort of protection against those huge out-of-bundle data costs. Sadly Simyo does not care about that. If you have android, make sure to set up the data cap feature of it. If you have iOS, better never exceed your subscription!

Reputatie 7
Badge +7

Hello @Aleksandr Shvedov,

Thank you for your response. I understand that you have already used the SIM card with the temporary number. On the temporary number the bundles are not active so you are incurring out of bundle charges. This is also mentioned in the email we sent to you! @Groentjuh Daar heb je dus gelijk in en sturen wij inderdaad nog steeds, super bedankt voor je reacties. Dit helpt enorm 😊. 

I look forward to seeing your message in my private box

Greetings,
Amy

I just felt in the same trap. That's an absurd that they do this. In the sake of "don't charge you for a second plan while the number is not transfered" they charge you much, much more. In my case , more than the expected for the whole year (€150).

Reputatie 7
Badge +7

Hi @Carlos2525,

Thank you for your message. I can imagine being shocked by this! 

I took a quick look at the connection and I see that you activated the eSIM on March 23. Your number was only transferred to us on April 23. If you activate the sim card before the transfer date, it can always happen that internet is consumed when the internet option on the sim card is on (via Mijn Simyo). In the first e-mails we send, we also advise you not to use the sim card yet because the bundles are not active on the temporary number. You will then pay €0,15 per mb. 

Would you like to send me a private message with your personal data? Then I would like to see what is possible regarding the costs incurred 😊.

Greetings,
Amy

Reageer