Pre-Paid Internet Bundle usage in EU - "Roam like at home"

• 13 March 2018
  • 5 reacties
  • 1115 Bekeken

Badge
Hello all,

I'm a Simyo Prepaid customer, and I am well aware that internet bundles unfortunately are not available in foreign countries. I have read some old and long topics with complaints and customers leaving Simyo, but so far no changes.

Yet something has changed last summer: the EU regulation "Roam like at home" as kicked in, and means I should be able call, sms and use data in the EU countries just like at home. Some conditions may apply (fair use policy) but as far as I could understand I am legally entitled to use my purchased data bundle in any EU country, without extra charges.
Info on the regulations here.

This has come to my attention as it is currently somewhat of a hot topic in my country of origin (Portugal), where some operators where offering data bundles that not only didn't comply to net neutrality, but were also not respecting EU regulations since they were not valid outside the home country. They have been notified by the national regulator to change their bundles.

I would like to create a discussion and hear from Simyo on this matter:
  • Is Simyo complying with the EU regulations while not offering internet for prepaid customers outside the Netherlands?
  • Are there any plans to offer internet to prepaid customers in the near future?
Thank you.
Ricardo

5 reacties

Hello Ricardo - @RSilva

I have Read tour topic with curiosity. I would like to invite you to read my topic from a year ago, it has some connecting points you might say.

I am also curios at your opinion. (I know how I think about it)

https://forum.simyo.nl/buitenland-88/prepaid-internet-in-eu-hoe-zit-dat-en-wat-wilt-de-klant-37289/index1.html

https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/faq/question-and-answers-roaming

For as to my knowledge RLAH is the meaning that charges simply said the same as at your 'homeland' provider. Sadly enough Simyo doesn't want to change, regarding to my topic.
As for my opinion a pitty dissision.
Not everyone will agree with me, but that's normal.

Different people different wishes different thoughts.

Have a nice evening !😎
Reputatie 7
Badge +9
Hey @RSilva ,
This topic has been discussed here a number of times before, most recently (I think) here:
https://forum.simyo.nl/buitenland-88/waarom-is-internet-via-prepaid-niet-beschikbaar-in-heel-de-eu-39308

Simyo is complying with the EU regulations. Data roaming has never been a feature of Simyo's Prepaid offering. The EU regulations make it mandatory for telecom providers to charge customers who are travelling in another EU country the same price for a service that is also offered within their home country. So, the charges for Simyo Prepaid customers for calls, SMS messaging and mobile data are the same no matter in which EU country they are travelling.

However, data roaming is not offered as part of Simyo's Prepaid product. The lack of data roaming is a "feature" that applies to Simyo Prepaid customers irrespective of the country they are in. The "cost" of using this feature (or rather, non-feature) is therefore the same in the Netherlands and abroad, which is in compliance with the EU regulations. The EU regulations cannot force a telecom provider to add new features to an existing product such as enabling data roaming to the Prepaid product.

Many customers have urged Simyo to allow Prepaid customers to use mobile internet in other countries (data roaming), but so far the only thing that Simyo has said was that this is a feature that they would keep in mind.
Reputatie 5
Badge +5
Hi Ricardo,

Welcome to the Simyo Forum! It's good you're here to ask your questions.

I see that Scotsman and Friesian have already done a wonderful job in explaining the current situation to you. Unfortunately at this moment mobile internet abroad is not available for Simyo Prepaid. This means you are only able to use in internet connection and an internet bundle on the Dutch KPN network. As Scotsman mentioned, this is a feature we're keeping in mind and as soon as there will be changes made we will notify our customers about this.

As for the new rules and regulations regarding roaming in the EU, we're not breaking any rules here. These regulations state that a provider cannot charge users, of a foreign network inside the EU, any extra costs for roaming. Since last year our Prepaid customers pay the same fee for calling from a foreign country inside the EU as in The Netherlands. For more information on this, please check out this page.

Will you let us know if there are any additional questions?

@ Friesian and Scotsman thanks for your input and explanations!

Kindest regards,
Els
Reputatie 7
Badge +9
@RSilva will you please keep us posted about any further developments in Portugal regarding this issue. It sounds to me that the Portugese telecoms regulator is acting out of step when they are trying to force national telecoms companies to offer prepaid customers data roaming in foreign EU countries if this is currently not permitted. The new EU regulations regarding roaming do not appear to provide a legal basis for such an action.
Badge
Thank you all for the answers.
I understand how can it be considered not to go against regulations.
All I can do is suggest making it more visible when subscribing the bundles that the data is only valid in the Netherlands, as many only find out after they are abroad.

If this it goes towards what the customers want and expect from their operator: I don't think so.
I will ask the same question as many others before me: does Simyo have any plans to change this on the short-term?
This is a very important feature to me because I will be in need of internet data on trips I am planning to take this year through Europe, and a Sim-Only subscription doesn't t fit my needs as I would be paying for plenty of minutes/sms's that I simply will not use.

@Scotsman on the Portuguese developments: so far we are still waiting to see what will the operators will do. Immediately after the regulator issued their findings the operators have sent a joint press communicate where they try to legitimise their products with "customer demand" and threatened that this will harm customers, making the regulator look like the bad guy. They still have 40 days to comply, but after that it is still unknown what will happen as discussions are ongoing about the regulator legal powers to issue fines and other actions.
I have managed to find an English edition of the original news, hope it helps clarify what has happened so far.

Reageer