Beantwoord

Unauthorized account deduction. What do i do?

• 28 July 2016
  • 6 reacties
  • 300 Bekeken

Dear Simyo,

I signed a one year contract with Simyo from 18/3/2015. The contract expired on 18/3/2016 and I have not indicated that I want to
extend the contract in any way. I checked my account today and found out that you have been deducting money from my account since after 18/3/2016. The contract I signed with Simyo has ended since 18/3/2016 and I did not give you the permission to continue to remove money from my account. The contract was a one year contract and I have not been using your sim since then. Now you have deducted money from my account for 5 months without my permission when I have not signed a new contract with you. Please kindly refund my money because my contract has ended with you and I have not been using your sim. When I bought the sim from Belsimpel I was told the contract is only for one year and if I want to extend it for more than one year I can come back to get a new contract. I don't need a new contract so I did not renew. You cannot automatically remove money from my account for a period beyond the contract I signed with you. Please kindly refund my money. I have also tried translating the contract I was given and no where was it stated that the contract will be automatically extended. Please kindly refund my money.

Thank you.

Jimoh R.A.
icon

Beste antwoord door Angela 29 July 2016, 11:16

Bekijk originele reactie

6 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +7
At first I would suggest that you remove your telephone number from the message. Moderators can see that.

Situation is a little complicated here, because you a contract with Belsimpel and not directly with Simyo.
I have no idea what conditions apply here.
But in general, and I am almost 100% percent sure that the applies for you, a one year contract
will be silently extended to a infinite contract that can be cancelled every month. So no
automatic ending.

If belsimpel has told you something different, its up to them to explain that.

What I think that they mean that after one year you can do either:
a) cancel your subscription
b) extend your subscription on the same conditions, but one month termination time
c) extend your subscription with an other year, at a reduced rate.
Reputatie 7
Badge +9
I understand Jimoh R.A.'s confusion. I can confirm that it is quite normal in The Netherlands that contracts, subscriptions etc. will be extended after the initial subscription period has ended. The contract can then be terminated by the customer at any time, subject to a specified notice period.
In other countries like the UK for example, the situation is quite different. Upon expiry of a contract it usually simply ceases to exist. But there is a downside: I had a rather attractive two-year contract with mobile telecom provider Three, but after the contract had expired I lost the favourable terms, and was forced to accept a deal that was not as generous as before.

This usually does not happen in the Netherlands. Thus, I have an old contract with Simyo with rather low call charges, and although it expired some time ago I still enjoy the benefits because it will continue to run until I cancel.
Reputatie 7
Badge +10
Hi Jimoh R.A,

Welkom to our forum!

I'm sorry to see that confusion has arisen about your contract.

As Wimj12 indicates, we can't guess what Belsimpel told you exactly. When they have given you specific information about the end of your contract, I suggest you contact them.

Scotsman explained how it works when you have a contract with us. Once the contract period has expired, we will not simply extend your contract by one year. On the other hand we can't just cancel the subscription without your permission either. This means that we keep the contract running with a month's notice. This gives you the time to decide what you want to do with your subscription. You may prolong it, terminate it or let it run on a monthly basis with the same conditions.

The last option is exactly what happened now. We have not received a wish to cancel or renew the contract. That's why you subscription hasn't been cancelled. Unfortunately, I can not change anything here.

You can cancel your contract via My Simyo> Settings> Subscription. Make sure you go through all the steps to get your cancellation confirmed by email. I see you've already found this option via our website. Your subscription will be cancelled as of the first op August.

As you might have noticed, I've removed your phone number from your post because of your privacy. Our members and visitors can see your post an thus, your phone number.

Do you have any further questions?

@ Wimj12 & Scotsman, thank you very much for your explanations and assistance.

Best regards,
Angela
Dear Angela,

Thank you so much for your response. I am sorry to say but your mail shows that Simyo was just interested in getting my money simply because they have access to my account. Simyo would not feel obliged to cancel the contract when it ended when I did not give the permission to do so and at the same time, Simyo did not feel obliged to contact me to ask if I would like to extend the contract. Rather, Simyo would prefer to continue to deduct my money without my permission. Great! It is just plain rip-off.
Reputatie 7
Badge +9
Just to reiterate, in the Netherlands, upon expiry of a contract the supplier of the service or goods is no longer under any obligation to deliver the service or goods, but will usually continue to do so until notified by the customer that he or she no longer wants those services. So it is up to the customer to take action. As I understand it, contracts offered by Simyo normally last 12 months and technically cannot be "extended". Instead, the service will continue to be provided on a month by month basis without a contract until the customer notifies Simyo that their services are no longer wanted. At this point the customer is free to cancel at any time subject to a 1 month notice period.
Reputatie 7
Badge +10
Hi Jimoh R. A,

I'm sorry to hear that you feel ripped off! That was not the feeling I want you to have after communicating with us. As Scotsman explained (with a certain articulation that I've come to expect from him) your contract was never technically extended. Rather, you were free to cancel whenever you wished. I can tell that this way of working seems strange to you, but consider this: if we were to just cancel and delete subscriptions as soon as a contract ends, how many people would suddenly lose their phone numbers? Generally speaking, people appreciate that no action needs to be undertaken in order to keep their phone numbers and their Simyo connections.

You're always free to disagree with any policy, but hopefully you understand that we always give our customers every choice in the world. If you wanted to leave, you could have. If you wanted to extend your contract (by agreeing to another year with us) you could have done that as well. If you wanted for nothing to change and for your connection with us to continue on a monthly terminable fashion, you could have done that as well. And you did.

All of this is, by now, running after the facts. I can see that your subscription has ended and that your Simyo phone number is no longer active with us. I just hope that we can part amicably.

@ Scotsman: As per usual, thank you for your help! 🙂

Best regards,
Jihane

Reageer